In almost every production environment there are times when some used machines are purchased so that the organization can save some. When such machines are purchased it is likely that the computers will already have operating systems, Windows 7 in this case, installed on them. Also, during the installation the previous owner might have specified his own company name which a person can see by typing WINVER in Run Command box or in search box. This configuration might not be suitable for the new organization and therefore administrators may want to change the organization name of the computer and they would want to do this without reinstalling the operating system. Below are the steps which will tell you (administrator of any organization) how to change the organization name of Windows 7 without doing clean installation:
1. Logon to the Windows 7 computer with the account that has elevated privileges and in the search box of Start menu type Regedit and press enter.
2. Click on Yes button to confirm UAC prompt.
3. On Registry Editor Window go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion location by navigating in the left pane.
4. From the right pane double-click on RegisteredOrganization key.
5. On Edit String box under Value data text box type the name of new organization.
6. Once done, click on Ok button to save the changes and finally close Registry Editor Window.
7. You can check new organization name of the computer by typing WINVER in the search box.