Registry plays an important role in any operating system developed by Microsoft. Registry in fact serves as the backbone of Windows which contains complete information about the operating system. Whenever any application is installed its entry is created in the registry file and the entry specifies the nature of the application. For example if you install an evaluation version of any application the entire information will be written in the registry and after the evaluation period is over the registry will mark the application as expired. Apart from this there are millions of tweaks that can be used to customize the operating system as per the users’ requirements. Since registry is important for any operating system based on Microsoft platform it becomes essential for a user to back it up in order to protect any stored information in it. You can backup a Windows 7 Registry by following the steps given below:
- Logon to the computer with administrator account. (The process of Registry backup can only be performed by the administrator of the computer).
- Click on Start button and from the appeared start menu in the search box type regedit and press enter key.
- In Registry Editor window click on File menu and choose Export.
- In the appeared box choose All radio button present at the bottom and specify file name in the corresponding text box.
- Once done click on Save button to backup your registry file and close Registry Editor window.