Connect to Remote Computer with Single Touch in Windows 7
Posted in How-to, Windows-7
If you are a frequent Remote Desktop Connection user it might be quite tedious for you to type the entire IP address and populate the fields with the credentials everytime you want to Remote Desktop to any machine connected to your network. Microsoft understands this problem and therefore it has provided a facility using which you can save Remote Desktop settings and credentials for every computer to which you connect on regular basis. The remote desktop settings which you can configure can be saved as an icon on your desktop with .RDP extension. Once you have created the icon you can double-click the icon and because of the saved credentials you will automatically be connected to the remote computer and the desktop screen of that computer will appear in front of you. In other words you do not have to type IP address username and password everytime you are about to connect to the remote computer. You can do so by following the steps given below:
- Initiate Remote Desktop Connection tool after you logon to your Windows 7 computer.
- On the opened console window click on Options button to view the hidden features.
- Once expanded type in the IP address and the username of the remote computer in their respective fields and check Allow me to save credentials checkbox.
- Click on Save As button and on the opened dialog box choose Desktop to save the icon after providing the appropriate file name.
- Click on Save button to save the dialog box on the desktop.
When you will double-click on the saved icon for the very first time Windows will ask for the password for the remote user account. After providing the password you can check the Remember my credentials checkbox to store your username and password permanently.