When Windows server 2008 is promoted to domain controller in Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in by default only one organizational unit with the name of Domain Controllers is created. Rest other containers are not organizational units and therefore no group policies can be applied on them. However administrators can create their own organizational units and place the object according to the geographical locations or departments in them. After administrators have created organizational units and have placed the objects in them they can then use Group Policy Management Console to create and apply group policies on them. As a systems administrator in any client/server Active Directory environment if you want to create a new organizational unit you are required to follow the steps given as below:
1. Make sure that you are logon to Windows server 2008 domain controller with domain admin account.
2. Click on Start button and go to Administrative Tools.
3. From the appeared menu click on Active Directory Users and Computers and from the opened snap-in right click on the name of the domain.
4. From the appeared menu list point the mouse to New and from the available submenu click on Organizational Unit.
5. On New Object – Organizational Unit box type in the name of the organizational unit in Name text box and click on Ok button to create the new OU.