There are times when you might forget your password if you have not used your computer for a long time. In this case you can either reset your password using administrative account and/or if your administrator account is blocked too you need to either format your computer or you need to hack into it in order to get your data back. Resetting your password forcefully using Administrative powers might sometimes block your data for ever. This mostly happens when you have enabled drive or folder level encryption.
The best solution for this kind of situation might be a pro-active approach of creating "Password Reset Disk". With the help of this reset disk you can reset your passwords if you forget them. This disk will straightforwardly provide you with the interface where you can type a new password for your user account.
Process of creating Password Reset Disk in Windows 7 is given below:
- Insert a blank USB pen drive in USB port of your computer. Make sure the device does not contain any important data files in it.
- Click on "Start" button and from the menu select "Control Panel".
- In the "Control Panel" Window click on "User Accounts and Family Safety" link.
- In the next Window click on "User Accounts" link.
- In the next Window in the left pane click on "Create Password Reset Disk" link.
- In the "Forgotten Password Wizard" welcome page click on "Next" button.
- On "Create a Password Reset Disk" page ensure that "Removable Disk" is selected.
- Click on "Next" button to proceed.
- On the "Current User Account Password" page type the current password that you use to log in to the computer and press "Next" button.
- On the next page when you see "Process 100% Complete" click on "Next" button.
- On "Completing the Forgotten Password Wizard" page click on "Finish" button to complete the process.
You can check this password reset disk by logging off from the currently logged on user and providing wrong password while re-logging. This will give you an error message and will askÂ if want to use previously created password reset disk to reset the current password.