Unlike legacy versions of Microsoft-based Network Operating Systems Windows server 2008 requires Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) Role binaries to be installed prior to the installation of Active Directory Services. Although the concept of promoting a standalone Windows server 2008 to the domain controller is identical to the process used in Windows server 2003 however the previous version did not offer any binary installation separately. Moreover when Active Directory Domain Services binaries are successfully installed on Windows server 2008 the wizard automatically offers a link to initiate DCPROMO command in order to install Active Directory Services to promote the Network Operating System a domain controller. As an administrator if you want to install Active Directory Domain Services Role on Windows server 2008 you need to follow the steps given as below:
1. Logon to Windows server 2008 operating system with local administrator account and click on Start button.
2. From the appeared menu click on Server Manager.
3. On the opened box in the left pane click on Roles.
4. From the right pane click on Add Roles link.
5. On Before You Begin page click on Next button.
6. On Select Server Roles page check Active Directory Domain Services checkbox and click on Next button.
7. On Active Directory Domain Services page click on Next button.
8. On Confirm Installation Selections page click on Install button to kick start the installation of Active Directory Domain Services binaries.