Sharing a folder is essential in Windows 7 when the computer is connected to the network and other users who are sitting on other computers are required to access any file or folder which is present on the main computer. In order to access a folder or file from the main computer a folder which contains all the files should be shared. This can be done by following the instructions below:
- Go to the drive where the folder you want to share is located.
- Right click on the desired folder on which you want to enable sharing and select "Properties".
- From the "Properties" page go to "Sharing" tab.
- On the "Sharing" page click on "Advanced Sharing" button.
- On the "Advanced Sharing" page check the checkbox that says "Share This Folder".
- Below the "Share Name" section in the text box you can either leave the default name as it is alternatively you can type new share name for this folder. This will be the display name of this folder that will be displayed to the people who will access this computer through the network.
- If you want other users to only read the contents from this folder from the network you can leave everything else as default and click on "Ok" button to accept the selections. However if you want to assign some different permissions such as enabling other users from the other computers on the network to paste or delete files on this shared folder you can specify share permissions by clicking on "Permissions" button. By default "Everyone" group is assigned with Read permissions.
- Select appropriate permissions from the permissions page.
- Click "Ok" button on all windows to accept and confirm your selections.